Sunday, December 7, 2008

Place of choice???

This December vacation chose me. Suwon, Korea for 4 weeks as my husband's work called him there. Booked ticket through thai airways and happily returned home to see suvarnabhumi airport bangkok where i had to change flight was shutdown. After lot of suspense the airport reopened the day before i had to start!! :) :) and I also packed lot of stuff and started to for my first trip outside India.

Hardest part of journey was reaching BIAL from my house. It was hell of a traffic and reached just 15 mins before the check in starts. Had dinner and rushed saying bye everyone!

But I quite like the new bangalore airport except for the fact that it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from city!

Without any delay thai airways started, my journey to Incheon airport started. Don't know if it is always the case, the flight was exceptionally empty. I got a seat in two seater and no one was there next to me. To my right in 4 in a row only one person who just stretched himself in four seats and went to deep sleep. Being my first trip and as i had to change flight in bangkom where i have an hour+ to take change, never got sleep. Enviously watched the person sleeping in my next seat stretching completely, economy class and comfort more than business class! :). Dinner was decent in thai. Best part was orange juice they had. I simply loved it. I must have drank at least a litre of it in the whole trip! Also I did like the way thai airways greet us "Suvatheeka". It sounds like music!

Morning 6am bangkok time the flight landed at suvarnabhumi airport. It is a beautiful airport to see from top...HUGE! Before getting down a video came in TV and explained the airport organization and told how to go and all, I didn't quite understand it! It was too much of data after sleepless night! By then I had learnt "Suvatheeka" replied to all airhostress with that and got down. . Once we got down a bus was ready, everyone got into it, I didn't see anything else or any other co passenger outside bus. Asked the person standing next to bus, where to go for transit, in thai she replied/sang something and showed hand to bus, that was enough for me. Got into bus. Bus took a round and took us somewhere and dropped where it read international arrival. Guess it is like the two bus stands we have in our town/city and all. We get down in outskirts and take a connecting bus to reach local bus stand :). Anyways now is the time to find where exactly I should go to take the flight to Incheon. My hubby's tip on keep following transit board helped! Searched and followed international transit. It was a morning walk for me. I saw the escalator type on floor(not steps type), it was like 4-5 of that kind crossed and reached some place where it read information desk, and there i saw thai airways counter! What a relief! A mistake anywhere would cost me a flight miss! People can easily get lost in this airport. Finally an English speaking thai airways counter and hassle free the boarding pass for this flight as well is issued in the Bangalore itself. They just make an entry on terminal and give us the boarding pass. It was C4. Went there and saw the flight number, yes huge relief! Just then counter was open went down and sat seeing the flight! Within another 20 minutes we were called to board the flight. To my surprise, my mobile was saying airtel!! What?? Airtel prepaid international roaming is enabled default I guess, and only SMS was working, I wasn't able to make phone calls! But I was glad that sms's worked! Good enough for me to keep everyone posted! Got into flight and hot parata's were served! It was pretty good! Again had some orange juice! Some old movie was played! Dogs talking and all. Wasn't very interesting for me! Tried to sleep, then walked a bit and by then Taipei a technical stop at Taiwan and compulsory all of us were asked to get down! Got down and heard from people travelling with me that there is free Internet somewhere there went again and updated everyone the progress and checked the phone, it worked! Wow! Sent couple of sms, there was a plastic card issued to roam around this airport, some 30 minutes later we were all back on flight. Now I am all excited as the next stop would be Incheon and started reading a book. The flight reached Incheon airport,Seoul before schedule. This is again a big nice airport. I like the idea these escalators have, people standing will be on one side, and people want to move fast will use the other side and keep going! We don't have to slow down/wait for others! Interesting it is written everywhere and everyone follows!

If suvarnabhumi across terminals if it is bus service, in Incheon there is a train! Every 5 minutes a train (almost all standing) moves us from terminal to place near exit! From there walk to Immigration counter, then a display says which conveyor belt our luggage is expected to come. Thrill is not over, what happens to all home made powders and pickle, there after 10 minutes of suspense saw my bag without any stickers coming out! Came out to see my dear husband waiting with my jacket and gloves wore all if it and stepped out and felt -7 degree Centigrade. It was a cool trip to a cold place.

No comments: